There are no documented rules that carving fruit into the shape of a flower petal is the only method to make a fruit bouquet. It’s not etched in stone that fruit bouquets must resemble the edible fruit baskets created by Edible Arrangements or FruitFlower.com. The easiest method to make a fruit bouquet saves a minimum of $30 dollars. Incredulously less expensive than it is to purchase a fruit bouquet from any of the popular Edible fruit bouquet companies, such as Edible Arrangements, FruitFlowers.com or even Cherry Moon Farms, here’s how to make a fruit bouquet for under $15.
What’s needed to make a fruit bouquet:
- 13+ inch Platter
- 100 – tooth picks
- 4-5 cups of fruit for the fruit bouquet (peaches cantaloupes, strawberries, etc.)
- 1 Lemon
- Sprigs of parsley, basil or spearmint
- Plastic wrap
1) Select a vividly hued, flat-based platter at least 13-inches in diameter. This will be the backdrop of the fruit bouquet.
2) The next stop to make a fruit bouquet can be done in advance. Refer to a magazine, online images of a flower arrangement. Enlarge or decrease the size of the flower arrangement so that the profile of the flower arrangement fits on the platter with an inch on each side of the platter.
3) In this step to make a fruit bouquet, gather a pen and a sheet of paper the size of the flower photo. Trace the outline of the flower bouquet. Alternatively, if you’re artistic and can create your own blueprint of the fruit bouquet.
4) Assign each element of the flower bouquet a color (in example flower petal, flower stem and basket). Let’s say you color code the basket blue, than blueberries would serve as the fruit for that part of the edible fruit basket. Perhaps, the flower is a red rose, then strawberries would be the fruit selection for one flower.. The flower petals can also be made of orange wedges or cubes of cantaloupe.
How to make a flower bouquet fun tip: For the flower stems, use spearmint, parsley and basil to give flower bouquet a cool engaging presentation.
5) Based on the outline and your color coding, purchase an assortment of fruit ranging from peaches, cantaloupe honey dew melon, oranges, blueberries, strawberries and pears. (Select slightly firm peaches and pears)
6) Wash, pat dry and cube all fruit.
7) Group fruit into bowls and liberally squeeze a quartered lemon over the cubed fruit.
8) Take the outline of your flower bouquet, then cut the outline and center it on the platter.
9) Stick a toothpick into each piece of fruit.
10) Although the tenth step to make a fruit bouquet is a tedious one, the outcome is the most rewarding. Using the color code of the outline on the platter, arrange fruit according to the outline.
Preparation: One more important step to remember on how to make a fruit bouquet is the timing. Prepare no more than 4-5-hours in advance. Then cover with plastic wrap, place in the refrigerator until time to serve the fruit bouquet.